Calling all 3D and XR creators! Ready? Let's go! 🤖
This month Looking Glass Factory and Polycam invite you to show off your Halloween spirit with a fun challenge where you'll be competing for awesome prizes. Make your best spooky, Halloween themed photogrammetry scans using a compatible iPhone with Polycam (available on the App Store). We are so excited to feature your 3D magic! 🌒🦹🏽♀️🧟♂️✨ A super bonus prize for anyone who uses the Looking Glass Factory Blender Add-on!
🎨💻 Never used blender? We've got you covered with our step-by-step Blender x Looking Glass tutorial.
Read below for rules and tips for photogrammetry.
About Polycam 📸
Capture your world in 3D with Polycam! Polycam’s new Photogrammetry Mode (Photo Mode) uses Apple’s Object Capture API to enable you to quickly create color 3D scans of objects in amazing detail. Capture anything from food, pets, to small detailed objects. Polycam even makes human scanning possible.
About Looking Glass Factory 🔮
Founded in 2014, Looking Glass Factory Inc is headquartered in Greenpoint, Brooklyn with additional operations in Hong Kong. In 2018 the company launched the world's first desktop holographic display dev kit; in 2019, started shipping the world's first 8K light field display; and in 2020, launched Looking Glass Portrait, a personal holographic display. Yeah, we really love holograms!
Win Incredible Prizes 🏆
One lucky winner will receive the following:
- One year subscription to Polycam Pro
- Looking Glass Portrait
How to Enter 💫
- Follow both Polycam and Looking Glass Factory on Instagram or Twitter
Instagram: @PolycamAI , @LookingGlassFactory
Twitter: @PolycamAI , @LKGGlass
- 🤳 Post your Polycam scan video on Instagram or Twitter with hashtag #Scantober and make sure to tag both Polycam and Looking Glass Factory so that we see it!
Best Practices / Techniques for Scanning 3D with Polycam💡
- Make sure to download Polycam
- Polycam Photo mode requires images of a subject from many different perspectives
- Move your body! Make sure to capture your subject from all angles
- Take photos from above, below, as well as different sides
- Try to maintain at least a 50% overlap between photos so the system can register them
- Not all photos need to encompass the whole subject. You can get closer and take more photos around detailed areas
- Great captures are made by getting a subject from as many perspectives as possible
- Polycam Tutorial video here.
- If you have a Looking Glass Portrait, take your scans to the next level with our community made Blender Add-on! Here's a tutorial on how to use Blender with your Looking Glass.
Judging Criteria 🔎
- Uniqueness/originality, quality (neatness, clarity, no holes/incomplete areas), aesthetic quality and complexity level
- Judges reserve the right to disqualify any capture due to incompleteness, poor taste, inappropriateness of content, or concerns regarding copyright infringement in the original work
💫 Bonus Round! Take Your Scans To The Next Level! ⚡️
Adjust lighting, create a scene, and enhance your scan with Blender! For the hologram-curious, here's what you can do with Polycam scans in Blender using the Looking Glass Add-on. Haven't used Blender before? No worries! Blender is a free to download, open source software used by millions of creators to create 3D magic. Best Blender scene gets limited edition Polycam/Looking Glass Factory swag!
Terms and Conditions ⚙️
- No entry fee and no purchase necessary.
- By entering this competition, participants agree to the Terms & Conditions.
- Excluded participants include employees of Looking Glass Factory, Polycam, and or family members of anyone employed by Looking Glass Factory or Polycam.
- The models submitted must be original works by the entrant.
- The winning entry will be used in promotional materials as Looking Glass Factory sees fit.
- All participants, including winners, retain IP rights to their submission.
- Winners may be asked to participate in a social media campaign.
- Submissions close at 11:59pm Eastern Time, October 31st 2021. The winner will be contacted via email or direct message by November 5th.
- Looking Glass Factory and Polycam leadership staff will judge the competition. We’re open to all different types of models as long as they are suitable for all ages.
- Utilize Polycam Photogrammetry Mode (Photo Mode)
- Looking Glass Factory’s decision as to those able to take part and selection of winners is final.
- Looking Glass Factory also reserves the right to cancel the competition if circumstances arise outside of its control.
The rules are as follows:
- Entrant must be 13 years of age or older.
- Finalists must submit .gltf models once contacted.
- Multiple submissions are permitted.
- The prize includes a one year subscription to Polycam Pro and Looking Glass Portrait (valued at $299 USD.)
- Winners will be contacted by November 5th.
- Winners will also be spotlighted in our newsletter, the Hologram Herald.
Compatible iPhones and Software 🤳
Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- iPhone 6S
- iPhone 6S Plus
- iPhone SE (1st Generation)
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone X
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone SE (2nd generation)
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 13 Pro
- iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone 13 mini
- iPhone 13
- iPad (requires iPadOS 14.0 or later
- iPad Pro (12.9 inch)
- iPad Pro (12.9 inch) Wi-Fi + Cellular
- iPad Pro (9.7 inch)
- iPad Pro (9.7 inch) Wi-Fi + Cellular
- iPad (5th Generation)
- iPad (5th Generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular
- iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (2nd Generation)
- iPad Pro (12.9 inch) (2nd Generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular
- iPad Pro (10.5-inch)
- iPad Pro (10.5-inch) Wi-Fi + Cellular
- iPad (6th generation)
- iPad (6th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular
- iPad (9th generation)
- iPad (9th generation) Wi-Fi + Cellular
- iPod touch (Requires iOS 14.0 or later)
- iPod touch (7th generation)
- Mac Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip
*This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Instagram. 🔦